2013 Fitness plan: Day 4 Week 1
After yesterday’s fasting day I was more than happy to wake up this morning knowing that I could have a full breakfast.
Surprisingly, I wasn’t as hungry as I thought I would be having eaten so little yesterday. Nor had the fasting had as big an impact on my morning measurements (see below) as I thought they might. I guess the effects only appear over time…
I did make it out for my 5km run in the morning and it felt good. No aches in my ankles or legs during or after the run. I got to use my new heart rate monitor on the run which seemed to work well, and meant that I now have my running app (RunKeeper) telling me split times, pace, speed and current heart rate every 250 meters. I’m interested to see how my heart rate changes over time the more I run.
I did eat a little more today than I normally would, I think the freedom of not fasting got to me a little:
- breakfast was 3 eggs, spinach, salsa, half a tin of refried beans and a large mug of green tea
- I had 1 protein shake after my run
- lunch was a bowl of veg and chickpea soup and a wrap with the rest of the beans, some salsa and a little cheese in it
- I also gave in to an afternoon hunger pang and had another wrap with a banana and some peanut butter in it
- dinner was a turkey fajita mix (diced turkey, mixed peppers, spinach, garlic, fajita seasoning) with some salsa, a little cheese and some low fat yoghurt instead of sour cream
- through the day I also had a second green tea, a second protein shake (post evening workout) and three pints of water.
This evening I managed to complete all 10 sets of the same routine I only managed 8 sets of on Monday:
- 10 sets of 50 crunches
- 10 sets of kettle-bell swings with the 28kg bell
- 10 sets of 10 press ups.
I did them as circuits again; one set of crunches, followed immediately by a set of swings and then straight into a set of press ups. Then a 2 minute rest and start the circuit again. It took a bit longer than I’d like as towards the end I needed to pause a little between swings and press ups to catch my breath.
I’m going to see how my legs are holding up in the morning before deciding whether or not to fit one more run in this week. I’m hoping they’ll be fine – they feel ok at the moment. If not, I’ll build up to running four times a week slowly, as I don’t want to injure myself and have to go weeks at a time not being able to run at all.
Weight: 101.1kg â€“ down 1.2kg from yesterday
Body Fat percentage: 19.3% â€“ no change from yesterday
BMI: 25.8 â€“ down 0.3 from yesterday