2013 Fitness plan: Day 1 Week 4
Today is day 1 of week 4 of my fitness plan, which means that I’m half way through the 6 weeks.
It’s hard to believe how fast it’s gone.
This morning I made it out for my run. Thankfully all the snow and ice has now gone in Regent’s Park, but it was a bit more breezy than it has been the last week or so which made it feel very cold. But, it went well. For the first km or so it felt fast, but maybe like I was pushing too hard and would run out of steam by the third or fourth km. I still ran the full 5km in 26 minutes 50 seconds, that’s the first time this year I’ve run it in under 28 minutes let alone in under 27 minutes. I’m happy with that!
And, to top it off, the final km was the fastest of the 5 today with a pace of 5 minutes 5 seconds per km. If I could keep that pace up for the full 5km I’d be smashing my personal best over that distance. Not fast by athlete standards, but I’d be happy.
Food today has been a little different to recent weeks, I still followed the slow carb diet (mostly) but we tried something we’d not done before for dinner:
- breakfast was 3 eggs, spinach, salsa, a slice of ham (left over from the weekend) and a mug of green tea
- I had 1 protein shake post run
- lunch was a left over bowl of the turkey and veg curry from last week and a slice of cheese (again, left over from the weekend)
- I had a second protein shake post evening workout
- dinner (the new bit) was 1 cod fillet (baked), a portion of roasted veg (tomatos, red and white onions, courgette, red and green peppers and sweet potato with seasoning and some oil) and a portion of garlic beans (canned borlotti beans, diced garlic, a little water and some stock powder simmered down in a pan until sauce-like rather than watery)
- through the day I drank 4 pints of water.
The dinner went down well and was very tasty. It made a nice change from the stir frys or fajitas that we eat quite a lot of…
As mentioned, I also did my evening workout today:
- 10 sets of 100 crunches
- 10 sets of 20 kettle-bell swings with the 28kg bell
- 10 sets of press ups doing 15 reps for the first 7 sets (one more than last time) and 10 reps per set for the remaining 3 sets.
I’m happy to have been able to add a seventh set of 15 press ups today. I’ll try for 8 sets of 15 and 2 sets of 10 on Thursday. And keep going until I hit 10 sets of 15 as promised.
Weight: 99.5kg down 0.5kg since last Monday
Body Fat percentage: 18.2% down 0.4% since last Monday
BMI: 25.4 down 0.1 since last Monday
On the bright side I’ve dropped from 104.1kg when I started three weeks ago to 99.5kg today and reduced my body fat percentage (the bit I’m more concerned about) by 1.6%.
Bring on the next three weeks.